Sunday, May 11, 2014

Fake it until you make it


"Fake it until you make it" this is something that you might have heard a lot of times. But what does it actually mean. Well, it means if don't feel confident, pretend you are until you gain the experience or tools necessary to make it for real.
But does this actually work? If yes then how?
The answer is YES, it work. It has worked for me too. But it's not based on just my experiences that I am telling you this. In a research at Wake Forest University, scientists asked a group of 50 students to act like extroverts for 15 minutes in a group discussion even if they didn't feel like it. The more assertive and energetic the students acted, the happier they were. I've also read the lives of a lot of great people and I have seen this happening countless times. I've also learned from my habit of reading a lot that a lot of successful people has also done it before they were successful.
Now you may ask how does it work. Well, here your answer. When you try to show people you're confident, most likely they'll believe that you are confident. But that's not the complete answer. The point is that after that they'll always expect you to be a confident person and will push you forward in the public. Thus you'll have to imitate being confident so much that a time will come when it'll become your second nature. And then you won't have to try being confident anymore because you'll realize that you're a confident person in all terms.
But how do you do it. How can you fake the confidence that took others so much time to build up. Well, that's what exactly I am gonna tell you here.
* Stand tall -- Yes, stand up straight, shoulders back, head up, chest out. Just doing this will give people enough clues to proof that you're a confident person. Usually we think that our mind controls our body but the truth is that both of them goes hand in hand. That means that if you act confident then you're sure to gain some of it.
* Realize that you're not the only one trying this strategy -- A while ago. When I was a student were having the farewell party and I was supposed to sing a song in-front of them. Eventually at that time I wasn't very confident. So, I was siting in the backstage in a corner filled with nervousness and fear of the shame that I would have to face if I couldn't sing well. As I watched, my friend went out there and danced very beautifully as if he contained all the skills and confidence there was. When he completed his performance, he returned to the backstage and I went to congratulate him for such a marvelous performance. But then he said something that shook my whole world and brought me to my sense. He said "Oh! I was so nervous out there". That was when I realized that not everybody is as awesome as they seem to be.
A lot of people feel like you do. All those people who seem to be so smart, talented, confident, stylish, etc are looking at you the same way, thinking that you are smart, talented, confident, cool and stylish. But deep down inside only you know how you feel. So, pretend to be a confident person until your real, inner confidence can come charging out for all to see.
* Choose silence or talk with confidence -- If by mistake you reach at some place where you don't belong then instead of saying something which can make you look like a fool, rather I suggest you to choose silence. This work on the fact that people usually take the silence of others for disinterest and power. But if you've to talk anyway then I recommend you to talk with all the confidence that you have. Because people are neurologically wired to believe the person who is confident(or appears to be).
And remember that there is nothing wrong with faking. It never has any negative effect on anyone's life. The mind can be tricked and you can balance your life on that little hack. In the meanwhile you'll learn what you need to and turn that fake confidence into the real thing.

Please leave your comments in the comment section below. I really appreciate your support. Thank you. Peace :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment